Preparing Your Home For Sale
First impressions make a significant impact on a buyer’s decision making process!
Once your home goes on the market, it becomes a product. Home Styling or Staging simply allows you to highlight the best of your home and de-emphasize its flaws. It’s not about decorating, but actually turning your home into a model, to appeal to the broadest range of prospective buyers. The goal is to make people
feel like they could live there, and the best way to do this is to “neutralize” the surroundings
Try out these helpful styling tips taken from Setting the Stage – REALTOR® Magazine Online. They’ve compiled the best tips from professional stagers and real estate pros – things you can do for little or no expense – to put a home in prime showing shape.
Top 10 Affordable Styling Tips
1 . Clear out closets and clutter—sellers can give away or pack up toys, linens, and small kitchen appliances to store offsite. Buyers are also forgiving of storage boxes neatly tucked away in a garage or basement.
2 . Focus most on the most visible areas—the foyer, kitchen, living room, master bedroom, and family room.
3 . Use plants in colorful pots or inexpensive wicker baskets to fill in empty spaces.
4 . Try angling one or two pieces of furniture slightly and move furniture 4 inches to 6 inches from the wall to create more interesting room spaces.
5 . Remove valuables, prescription medicine, collectibles, and breakables.
6. Refrain from cooking anything that leaves a distinctive odor, such as fish, garlic, or cabbage.
7. Hire a professional service to clean the home, including the carpets and the windows.
8. Set the dining room table with attractive linens, dishes, and stemware..
9. Use as much natural light as possible. Add extra lamps in dark rooms or corners. A mirror in a pretty frame can make a small room feel more open.
10. Make functional repairs—fix dripping faucets, sticking doors, and broken fences.